Monday, January 08, 2007

DAY 114- Update for WEEK 16

NOTABLE EVENTS:·
Actually, nothing really! This last week was really low-key and hot and basically we just stayed home and worked, with the occasional errands out and about that were required for us to accomplish our tasks.

WEATHER:
It continues to be quite warm; this is summer in Santiago! The Santiago Chileans call it "un horno," an oven. It is just that time of year. (...which is why this time of year the Thurstons always go out to stay at the beach house. We will be there on and off for the next couple of weeks...) Yesterday, Sunday, was much cooler and there was a nice breeze going, so it felt like it was around 75º but most of the other days have been in the high 80s or low 90s. Nights have been cooler than they were last week, but it is still around 78-85º in my bedroom when I go to sleep. We have had this feral cat hanging around the house this week wanting to get into the house (which it did to Jim's dismay last week, and caused quite a ruckus trying to throw it out). Unfortunately, that means we have had to keep our unscreened windows closed at night, which inhibits ventilation and thus comfort. We are putting in screens for the windows today so that I can at least get a cool breeze running through my window at nighttime without worrying about the creepy cat getting inside.

DURING THE WEEK: AROUND THE HOUSE and MISSIONS PROJECTS...
I just have been doing regular daily work here, putting the news online and transferring the hundreds of VHS tapes to DVDs. Today (after some minor technological difficulties one day this week), I am on tape number 104! In addition to my regular daily work, this weekend, Jim and I worked hard on copying some DVDs for a friend (while taking time to watch the Seahawks-Cowboys game at the same time of course). There were 200 copies we needed to make (which meant we had to go out and buy ink-jet-printable discs... this turning out to be quite the ordeal; we had to go back to return the discs and get better ones twice! Quite the technological complication). Then after copying them, we designed labels, and printed and then packaged all the discs. Whew! Fun fun.
This week, Lina and I made a trip to the bank and other than that, I have just been going out and about on errands that have to be run, and then daily during the evenings from around 8-9 I take the dog for at least an hour-long walk. The walks are good exercise for me and him, as well as training for the foot-eating dog of course! It is much cooler in the evenings to walk than it is when I go for my morning jogs. The exercise is welcomed though!
Let's see... that is about it for my week. Not too exciting. But there is the update! Next week's blog update might be more interesting, not to mention WITH PICTURES, because tomorrow I am going to the world's largest copper minet that is here in Chile, and I will be taking a train to get up to the site (my first train ride ever). I'll take pictures of course. Also this week, Jim and Lina are heading out to the beach house, and I will be staying here in Santiago at the house during the weekdays to cook, take care of the house, and keep on with the transfer of videos. I'll get out to the beach on weekends and other days later in the month though :) ...so that I can work on my tan and relax of course!

No comments: