Day 13 Update
K. So here is my update for the last week, Friday, September 22 through today, Friday, September 29:
Basically, my trip up north to
So I left at
Not to fear though.... I was warmer while I was there! (And now having returned to
That first Friday night, I went with Lina´s mom to see an annual folkloric festival that is put on in a downtown theater. It was awesome to see all different sorts of cultural dances and hear music from
Here is one picture from that night:
Then Saturday was the conference, the reason for which Lina had to go to
Well, there was lunch halfway through the day, and then round two, going back for more conference speakers. There was one lady who spoke who was deaf, and another girl probably in her early 20s who was deaf and could not speak as well who shared testimony. There were sign language interpreters there. One of them was really animated and he was really fun to watch when I was really bored. Then during the church service that night, I was shocked for the first time since I had been here. I had a hard time dealing with what I witnessed during the five-hour service. Well, first there was a blind woman who sang (she had an amazing voice), but what really shocked me was what was to come towards the end of the service (and by “the end” I mean the last two hours). I don’t really know how to put it into words... it was hard for me to deal with my emotions for the next couple of days, and hard for me to think about what had happened and write about it even in my daily journal entries. Finally by Monday night, after thinking a lot and talking to Carlos on Monday during the trip he took me on to Mejillones, I was able to write about what I had experienced…
The best way for me to convey what I was going through is just to quote parts of what I was able to write about in my journal. So here goes…
On Sunday (this was the day after the conference) I wrote, "Well, last night was something I’m not sure I can write about. I have never experienced such a thing in my life, and and so many things come into my head at once, I’m not sure what or how to write about my experience... I struggle to hold back tears of great emotion when I think abt how I felt last nite... I wanted to talk with someone abt it so bad.... [but I couldn’t because there was nobody. The language and the cultural barriers were really tripping me up at this point.] ... I want to write abt what happened last nite but I’m not sure I can. It was all so strange, so new. I’m not sure what to think or if I should just keep [the things I witnessed] to myself- it could take up pages, all I could say [about Saturday night]. I’m not sure if [what I saw] was of the Lord or just the extravagance of these people."
Then by Tuesday, I was actually able to write more in detail, with more understanding about Saturday night. I just needed time to get used to the idea of what I had seen, and to think about the conversations I had on Monday concerning the events of the service... So this is what I was finally able to get out on Tuesday that should explain a bit of why I was so impacted: “So, I’m gonna talk about my life-changing weekend. On Sat. nite, there was a church service after the conference. It was intense. It went from
This is a picture of Carlos:
...So, among other things abt the Bible, cultural customs, etc., we talked abt the "falling" ritual that occurred Sat. nite. He was one of the ppl talking to those falling, saying words of the Lord, so powerful that the presence of the Lord knocked the women to the floor!?! I wonder why men don’t go up there? Lina said she hadn’t seen stuff like that but a couple of times, and never as intense. So anyway, he asked if I believe in it, and I said it was possible, but I just need time to think about what happened, [as I have never seen anything so religiously dramatic before... at least in person. I mean, I’ve heard of religious extremes and really getting into worship, and realize that the possibility and this form of worship could be something really powerful from God that one may experience, but I needed time to think on it really.] I had to adjust. What I had seen that night was just so different. I know the conversations I had with Carlos where really good for my Spanish skills, [and it was a really intellectual and deep topic to be having to think on... It really did exhaust my brain (thinking in English and then to Spanish and having an in-depth conversation in another language, on religion at that, is very taxing on the brain, let me tell ya!)] but also for me religiously. This exposed me to something I had not encountered ever before. Then we got to the beach in Mejillones, and Carlos went to pray for a few minutes while I just thought to myself and walked up and down the beach taking pics and surveying the sights of the gorgeous day- the wind on the water, the bright sun... and thinking about my weekend. My purpose. Family and friends. What was I doing here? What might I learn? How might I benefit from my stay here? How will I change? Will I help others? What am I doing here? How are other people around the world going to be impacted by religion? So many things. After a few minutes, Carlos was finished praying and we started walking down the beach back into the town. Carlos told me that one of the things he prayed for was for me to experience falling sometime in the next six months that I am here, before I leave. I was hesitant, unaccepting, and in all honesty, a bit annoyed, and I told him I just wasn’t sure if I wanted to experience that. He couldn’t understand why, and I still don’t think he does. Then when we got to his pastor’s house after walking down the beach into town a couple hours later, we talked more abt the whole falling thing and I explained I didn’t want to fall b/c I’m just not ready. It’s something so new and I need to think, research, learn more, or just talk to God a little bit more before I commit to such an extreme and powerful experience. The pastor’s wife there knows the Thurstons and she is super-nice and knows a bit of English because her best friend is a missionary who came to That pretty much covers what I was dealing with, for the most part, last weekend. It’s been tough on me, though it may not sound so bad in writing. Already in the first couple weeks here, I can see I am in for some deep spiritual things. With so much down time, I have been able to spend a lot of time thinking about really deep stuff… spending a lot of time talking to God and beginning to get into His word. I know I’ll be growing and learning a lot, and all this stuff will make for a really good article for the church newsletter.
So anyway, back to the rest of my trip. This’ll be more brief. On Monday I took the trip with Carlos to Mejillones. This picture below is of me on the beach about an hour´s walk outside of the center of the town of Mejillones...
As for today, I rested and then finally decorated my room! O you should have seen it when I arrived. Just two sad-looking twin beds, an armoire, a broken sewing machine, and a sad-looking old, dirty yellow stool. I took pictures of how it is now. I spent a little more than $1 (buying lavender-colored tissue paper) in total. Jim and Lina bought a set of drawers that I am proud to say I constructed/set up all by myself!!! 30 minutes of hammering, gluing, pegging, and piecing together some wood boxes was well worth it. Once I decorated and cleaned up, the room finally looked a little better. I felt like I was on a home-makeover tv show. I did what I could with limited resources and what I had there in the room and with my shells and colored tissue paper. It was so much fun to spend the day doing what I could. Rearranging, organizing, changing my mind and reorganizing lol, and switching the good mattress from the top, to the bottom, and then top to bottom once more before I finally decided on which bunk I wanted to sleep! Now that was a nice little workout for my arms!!! We also took the dog to the vet. And I’m just working on updating and getting pictures and everything online now. This weekend I’ll be updating a lot, getting my webcam set up and all, and then next week I’ll be in the studio with Jim, learning more and helping in the ministry. O and tomorrow night, Saturday, I Mary Jane and Paulo will be taking me to the youth group they went to. I’ll get to meet some people my own age, finally!!! You don’t know how excited I am at those prospects. There’s so much to look forward to other than sleeping and watching tv and eating like I did for the majority of last week!
Yeah, so that’s about it for now. Keep checking the website and the pics in the next couple of days... I’ll be updating! And email me! I’d love to hear from people!
No comments:
Post a Comment