skip to main |
skip to sidebar
So, after being here for around two months, I thought I would put out a little info on what I´ve learned about the culture´s language that is different from "typical" Spanish that is taught in U.S. schools, or at least the differences from the Spanish I was taught and have experienced in Mexico, etc.
Some examples of differences:
·They use a definative pronoun (el/la) before a person´s name when making reference to the person. Like the person is an "it." I don´t like it.
·The word "aca" and "ahi" are used colloquially in place of "aquí" and "allí"
·They also use the word "altiro" in place of "ahora"
·They add "po" onto the ends of some words. Most commonly, they use "sípo," adding the "po" to the affirmative "sí" (yes). Also, they say "nopo." And on msn messenger, for short they just say "sip." It took me a while to figure that one out...!
·The most common and noticable thing about Español Castellano (Chilean dialect of Spanish) is that they drop the "s" or "-es" off words, at the end, or in the middle sometimes. It is almost as if "tú form" is non-existent with the amount of slurring.
Some common catchphrases are:
·"¿Qué sucede?" (What´s up?)
·"¿Cómo tay?" (How are you? Short for "¿Cómo estás?")
·"¿Cachay?" (Do you understand?)
·"pinka" (that´s not good)
·"cabro-a" (boy-girl)
·"flor" (flower) But it commonly means good-looking/nice and beautiful in regards to a girl
·"del uno" (number one... I´m great/fine)
·"Claro" (they use this word a lot in response to things)
TOP FIVE questions people ask when meeting me: (and I guess, since I´m well-practiced, I´ll have to provide the answers as well, even though it is for the MILLIONTH time!!!)
- "Where are you from?" "¿De dónde eres?"
·Soy de los estados unidos, del noroeste en la parte del estado de Washington.
·I am from the United States, from a northwestern part, Washington state. (so as not to be confused from the more commonly-known Washington (D.C.), our country´s capital. - "What are you doing in Chile?" "¿Qué estás haciendo en Chile?"
·Estoy trabajando como una misionera con Jaime y Lina Thurston. Tienen ministerios con la tecnología-- integridad.com, enlace.com, y JTV. Ayudo con grabaciones y edito las películas. Estoy ayudando con cosas que puedo. También estoy tomando un receso después de la escuela secundaria. Gradué en junio y cuando vuelvo a los ee.uu. voy a estudiar las comunicaciones en la universidad. También altiro, estoy viajando por sur america y estudiando más de la lengua.
·I am working as a missionary with Jim and Lina Thurston. They have tecnological missionary ministries such as integridad.com and their musical website enlace.com, also their tv studio JTV. I help with recording and editing videos and helping with whatever else I can here. I am also just taking a little break after high school, from which I graduated in June. When I return to the U.S. I will be studying Communications in a university. Also right now, I am just traveling and learning more of the sights and language of South America. - "Do you like it here/Do you like Chile? What do you think about Chile? What´s your favorite thing about Chile?" (something along that line) "¿Te gusta Chile? ¿Qué parece de Chile? ¿Qué es tú parte favorita en/de Chile?"
·Sí, me encanta el país de Chile. Es muy lindo... las playas y las montañas... Pero la ciudad grande de Santiago es muy diferente de mi pueblo. Entonces estoy aprendiendo mucho sobre las diferencias entre mi país y Chile, y al mismo tiempo las diferencias entre mi pueblo y Santiago. No tengo una parte favorite todavía. Pero voy a quedar por medio año entoces hay bastante tiempo a ver más.
·Yes, I like Chile. It is very beautiful... (I usually insert something about how the beaches and mountains are really pretty...etc.) But the big city of Santiago is very different from my small town I am from. So I am learning a lot about the differences between my country and Chile, as well as at the same time the differences just between the big city and my small town. And no, I do not have a favorite part of Chile yet. But I will be here for a total of about a half year, so there is a lot of time to see more of the country. - "Who are you staying with and how long will you be here?" (both questions are usually clumped into one phrase) "¿Con quién quedas y por cuanto tiempo quedarás/visitarás aca?"
· Estoy quedando con Tío Jaime y Tía Lina y voy a estar hasta abril, probablamente.
· I´m staying with Jim and Lina Thurston and I´ll probably be here until April. - and... once someone gets to know you or has met you once, they CONTINUALLY, every time they see you, ask, "¿Cómo ´tay? (How are you?)" or, "¿Qué pareces de Chile altiro? (So what do you think of Chile now?)" ...even if it´s only been a week or less since they last saw me... sometimes it drives me crazy because I don´t know how to answer!!!
· Estoy bien, gracías. (O a veces digo) Estoy poco aburrida. Chile es lo mismo que ayer, pero hace lluvia mucho, ¿no?
· I´m fine, thanks. (Or sometimes I´ll say) I´m a bit bored. Chile is about the same as it was yesterday, but it´s been raining a lot, no? (Most of the time I actually just make something up, because I really get fed up with this group of questions in particular.) - HONORABLE MENTION: Another one that comes in close is, "What sights have you seen?/Where have you been in Chile?/Where do you want to go-see?" "¿Cuales lugares fuiste?/¿Adónde fuiste en Chile?/¿Adónde quieres ir-viajar?"
· Fui a la playa cuando llegue... al Quisco. Entonces fui al Antofagasta por una semana y viajaba por la ciudad y las playas lindas. Acá en Santiago, fui al San Cristóbal, Santa Luciá, el museo de las artes bellas, por el centro y ví los artesanias, y también visité La Moneda. Voy al sur en diciembre, y a Viña del Mar y la playa en el Quisco otra vez. Voy al concierto de Marcos Witt allá. Y ¡al concierto de Shakira ell 22 de noviembre!
· I went to the beach at Quisco when I arrived here. Then I flew to Antofagasta for a week and toured the city and the beautiful beaches there. Here in Santaigo, I went to San Cristóbal, Santa Luciá, the fine arts museum, through the town cetner and the artesania vendors, and I also visited La Moneda (the president´s house). In December, I´m going to Viña del Mar and the beach in Quisco again. I´m seeing a Marcos Witt concert there. And on the 22 of November I´ll be going to see Shakira!
No comments:
Post a Comment