Monday, November 27, 2006

DAY 72- WEEK 10 Update

NOTABLE EVENTS OF THE WEEK: (this whole week was actually pretty good, but some highlights are...)
· Baking, cooking, Thanksgiving!
· Shakira concert!
· nice, hot weather!

WEATHER:
Temperatures ranged from the high 70s to low 90s this week. Nice and sizzlin' at midday! I took the opportunity to tan a bit this weekend at a park several blocks away... much to the contrast of the inches and inches of snow that keep piling up at home! Morning jogs are at the perfect low 70º temp, and evening walks with the dog are enjoyable as well in the warm breeze.




MISSIONS PROJECTS and EVENTS DURING THE WEEK:
We worked on getting some stuff set for the integridad.com chat event... planning, organizing, I translated all of my to do lists and organizational details for the event into Spanish, so that was fun and fabulous! Tuesday was an extremely busy day for me around the house, working on the event, among other projects Jim had me working on.
And then this being Thanksgiving week, I did a lot of baking and cooking. On Wednesday, Jim and I took a trip up to the Jumbo Supermercado store (about 15 minutes drive to the next comuna over, Providencia because the Lider Vecino supermercado down the block doesn´t have as many goods as the Jumbo does) and bought all the supplies needed on our Thanksgiving week cooking items list. I baked two pumpkin pies and banana bread on Wednesday afternoon before I left with Mary Jane to go to the Shakira concert!!!!!!! Oh my goodness it was such a sweet, fun, awesome, exciting experience!!! We waited in the setting sun for three hours (I got a bit of a tan but was surprised at how subtle it was... I don´t fry here!), going early to get good seats in our section. We also watched the rioting and security and stuff below us among the thousands of other fans in the mosh pit area. Crazy. There was an article in the paper I clipped on Friday about the number of injuries and lack of security! Anyway, I took many photos, a few video clips and got a couple souveniers. It was a wonderful experience. I love Shakira! Wow and those hips! Seriously! (Picture at right is of me when we first arrived at the Estadio Nacional, where the concert was held... the stage is in the background.)

So, on Thanksgiving Day, I spent much time in the kitchen, making cinnamon rolls and freshly-squeezed OJ for breakfast and then cooking the rest of the dinner (we had ours at 7 pm) during the afternoon. My first turkey turned out just fine and the stuffing was fabulous! There were many leftovers too, that only lasted until today though, with the number of people coming and going through our house this weekend.
Lina was gone Thursday through Saturday for a Pastor´s conference, so she wasn´t there for Thanksgiving, but the rest of the family was. See the picture at right of those who were present (except for Lina´s niece Claudia who arrived later): left to right- Señora Mercedes (our housekeeper), Mary Jane (Jim and Lina´s daughter), me, Jim, Paul (Jim and Lina´s oldest son), and Paulo César (MJ´s husband).


Then on Friday, Ricky, the Canadian, and I went downtown to buy our bus tickets for December 6-8 to go to Mendoza, Argentina, in order to renew our visas. It was SO hot that afternoon and the buses were PACKED! I then toured him around the Ñuñoa comuna and showed him where the good places are to buy gifts!
Saturday afternoon I did a lot of walking around enjoying the sun and spending time in the park, reading and writing. Then
during the night, I went to see a friend´s concert. She is in a tour group called LG2 Cantantes Juveniles (Youth Singers). They were really good. (My friend, Kata, is in the center of the picture at right.)



When I got home from the concert at 10:30 the family and I left (Lina had just arrived home) for Paulo César´s (PC) little brother's 11th birthday. We had an asado, of course. (asado=barbeque, basically. It´s a party or gathering of multiple people where a series of courses of meat are bbq'd and served: choripan (sausages like hot dogs only better, in buns sometimes), carne (some sort of beef), pollo (chicken), and various other meats as well. The meat just keeps on coming and coming. I usually eat a choripan and a bit of pollo but after that, I am pretty well stuffed because boiled potatoes and some sort of veggie, salad, etc. are normally served as well with the meal. So yeah, an asado is a type of party. They have them at nearly every type of fiesta... por ejemplo (for example) the cumpleaños (birthday) of PC´s younger brother, Javier. His party included an asado (barbeque).)
Food was served at midnight, but I wasn´t too hungry. We came home at 3. That´s the way evening gatherings usually go here. (The photo on the left is of Paulo César´s stepfather and his uncle. This is in the back of Paulo´s family´s house. They were cooking at the grill!!!)

On Sunday, I went to church and then relaxed and got some reading done later in the afternoon when we returned from church. I also made the pancakes for the night, making some with chocolate chips! mmm! Relaxing day.
Today, Monday, we have been EXTREMELY busy with many people coming in and out of the house. One of those days when the phone and doorbell won't stop ringing! We have two women from Argentina here, and a Chilean who is a missionary in Germany as well. We conducted interviews in the studio here today, had a big lunch with everyone and their family it seems here in the house, and have been enjoying much conversation. The interviews will go up online on integridad.com. They are really interesting to hear about so many amazing experiences!

Please be praying for Jim´s back... these last couple weeks, he´s been having a lot of pain again. He´s getting xrays tomorrow and has been advised by his physician not to lift things. So just keep him in your prayers please!

LANGUAGE UPDATE:
I think in Spanish a lot now instead of in English. Just this week I realized that. And of course, I have been doing a lot of communicating in Spanish, as we´ve had so many people coming and going through the house this week!


**Take a look at all the new pics I’ve uploaded from this fun and eventful week from the bins labeled "Day 67 11-22 SHAKIRA concert, Day 69 events, and Days 67-68 Thanksgiving and preparations."
(all my pictures are in labeled bins at: http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/Chile_girl/CHILE%20PHOTOS/)**

No comments: